- Participants from Perkampungan Orang Asli Gombak queuing for registration
- The emcees welcoming all the participants with a warm big smile
- Full house at the opening ceremony of Children’s Fun-and-Learn Day 2017
- Demonstration on how to play the games to eager participants
- They came as strangers but left as friends
Students taking Civic Consciousness and Volunteerism course had successfully hosted their very own Children’s Fun-and-Learn Day 2017 on 8 April 2017 at TAR UC PA Block. They welcomed more than 90 children and caretakers from three organisations, namely Shelter Home, Pusat Jagaan Sivananda and Perkampungan Orang Asli Gombak for the one-day charity event.
The highly anticipated event of this year was successfully held through the collaborative efforts of students from the Faculty of Applied Science and Computing (FASC), the Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment (FEBE) and the Faculty of Social Science, Arts and Humanities (FSAH). The event spiced up the day with 12 sites offering various interesting games and educational workshops. The theme of this memorable charity event is ‘Sowing Seeds of Hope’ which aims to create a session where both organiser and participants can mingle together through fun-filled and educational activities to give the children a glimpse of campus life and motivate them to further their studies beyond secondary level in the near future.
- A participant showing off her shooting skills
- Exciting games in beautifully decorated venues
- Even Batman attended to create a more memorable day
- Wishing wall where the participants would note down their future aims
- Best female participant winner from Pusat Jagaan Sivananda
- Children’s Fun-and-Learn Day ended with smiling faces and satisfied hearts
The event commenced with a welcoming speech by the emcees, followed by a three-hour activities consisting of lively and engaging games and educational workshops. Each and every game and workshop was designed to provide valuable lessons that are useful for the participants in future. All four workshops provided fun-learning experience focusing on various educational topics which include “Sowing Seeds of Hope”, “Sowing Seeds of Courage”, “Sowing Seeds of Kindness” as well as “Sowing Seeds of Honesty”.
This exciting one-day event came to an end with an award-giving ceremony for best participants and best groups. The participants and caretakers were later given a goodies bag each as a token of appreciation. They also received a packed dinner each after a long and fulfilling day before leaving for home. The students had put in herculean efforts in making the event a success and they felt that they had contributed to a good cause. They also enjoyed the teamwork, collaboration and interaction with one another besides polishing up their inter-personal communication skills through this event. This project also aims to encourage the spirit of volunteerism among the students so that they will contribute more to the community after graduation.