- Total funds raised: RM138,445.20. Cheque presentation ceremony at Tunku Abdul Rahman University College, Kuala Lumpur.
- Staff, students and representatives from the 19 charity organisations attending the cheque presentation ceremony.
- The Faculty of Social Science, Arts and Humanities, Students Representative Council presented a cheque amounting RM20, 283.55 to the TARC Education Foundation.
- The backbone of Tunku Abdul Rahman University College, Kuala Lumpur.
Friday, 13th January 2017 marked a meaningful moment for TAR University College as 19 charity organisations were presented with cheques between RM5000 to RM10, 000 at the Auditorium of Bangunan Tun Tan Siew Sin. The money was raised by the Diploma students taking the course Civic Consciousness and Volunteerism. It was a herculean effort by approximately 2500 students who had invested their time and energy to undertake this noble community outreach initiative aimed at benefiting the underprivileged community in our society.
The students managed to raise a total of RM138, 445.20 in just a matter of few weeks. The beneficiaries are
- Persatuan Kebajikan Kanak-Kanak Istimewa Seberang Perai Selatan
- Pertubuhan Membantu Pesakit Parah Miskin Malaysia
- Shelter Home
- Pusat Jagaan Insan Istimewa, Semenyih
- Pusat Penjagaan Warga Usia Emas Tong Sim, Seremban
- Suriana Welfare Society Malaysia
- Pusat Jagaan Sivananda
- Pertubuhan Kebajikan Ihsan Negeri Sembilan
- Ampang Old Folks Home
- Candy Pencil Project
- Desa Amal Jireh
- Pertubuhan Kebajikan Mental Selangor
- Sincere Care Home, Kajang
- Rumah Hope
- Rumah Kebajikan Anbu Illam
- Rumah Charis
- Yayasan Sunbeams
- Pusat Jagaan Titian OKU Nur, Rawang
- Nicholas’ Home
- YBhg Datuk Dr Tan Chik Heok, President of TAR UC and Ms Karthiyani Shanmugam, Head of Centre for Nation Building and Languages presented a cheque to Mr Seegar from Pertubuhan Kebajikan Mental Selangor.
- Mr Scott J. Wong from Suriana Welfare Society Malaysia sharing with the audience on how the funds received will benefit his organisation.
- Academic staff and administration staff from Centre for Nation Building and Languages.
Besides the 19 organisations which received the funds, the funds raised were also used to buy school bags, school books, stationery and tracksuit bottoms for Orang Asli school going children from Perkampungan Orang Asli in Gombak and the Sweet Care Welfare Society which was delivered to them in December last year in preparation for the school term which began last week. Moreover, a considerable amount was presented to TAR UC Student Welfare Fund which will benefit students who in need of financial assistance due to some crisis or unexpected events.
During the same ceremony, the Faculty of Social Science, Arts and Humanities, Students Representative Council also presented a cheque amounting RM20,283.55 to the TARC Education Foundation in support of the Student Centre, a synergistic hub for all students’ activities in campus. The money was raised by Students Representative Council through their fund raising activities throughout 2016.
At the cheque presentation ceremony, the President of TAR University College, YBhg Datuk Dr Tan Chik Heok commended the students for having worked tirelessly to raise funds for the needy ones by sourcing for sponsors and through various activities. He also thanked individuals and organizations which provided sponsorship for the students’ fund raising project. Furthermore, he applauded the academic staff members who toiled behind the scene to ensure the project was carried out successfully.
Koh Cheng Bing, Diploma in Accounting said that he felt privileged of being part of this meaningful project and seeing his hard work benefits so many people is beyond satisfaction. Tun Farzana Syuhada binti Rafi’e, Diploma in International Business claimed that she appreciated the exposure given by this subject and she has now taken an interest in social work and volunteerism.
The cheque presentation ceremony was well attended by more than 120 people, including representatives from the 19 charity organisations, staff and students.